Author’s Log: Post-Tryptophan OD Edition (&ROW80)

0038crhc Oof. I don’t know about you guys, but I ever see another turkey again, it’ll be WAY too soon. Blerg. X-P

My Christmas shopping was completed without much more than a “clickety-click” over at the Amazon (I’d had my cart built for a couple of weeks in anticipation), so no pressure there, thankfully. The SALE SALE SALE extravaganza this year made me wonder what the heck is wrong with civilization (as it does most years, I suppose, but I probably block it out in self-defense). So many stores opened 8:00 on Thanksgiving, because yanno…the almighty dollar supercedes family time, at least for store employees. I know I’m dating myself here, but I remember when Black Friday meant stores were CLOSED (i.e. it was a Blackout Date). I’m not sure when that changed, but when I worked retail in the 90s Thanksgiving weekend meant I worked double shifts.

*sigh*

Anyhoo, now whenever I jump online to make with the annual credit card damage I remember the Halcyon days when the Tech Monkey and I used to do knock out our shopping the a couple of days after Halloween in New Orleans at the French Market. By then we’d more or less recovered from Halloween night in the French Quarter, and before we began the gauntlet we’d purchase banana daiquiris. Daiquiris in one hand, canvas shopping bags in the other, we’d then troll the Market in search of charming kitcsh unique to New Orleans.

ROW80LogocopyProduction Schedule (&ROW80)

BRIGHID’S MARK (In Production): Just received Round 2 Edits from Editor Awesome. She liked the additional world-building I did, she just wants me to add a little something else and clean up some lingering POV issues. *growl* I thought I’d eradicated all of these, but apparently not–and I like to do things right the first time. This round is due Dec 10. So I’ll do a pass this weekend and a final return sweep next weekend.

KEEPERS 3 (In Revision): This week I knocked out my query blurb/jacket copy and synopsis. YAY!

KEEPERS–ORIGINS #1 (In Revision): I’ve set a tentative release date of Dec 29 (the three month mark before Brighid’s Mark is due to be released). The story is cleaning up nice, so now I just make sure I need to get the formatting done correctly, hopefully with a time cushion in place in case I experience issues.

In additional to all this, I’ve been working on new Home page for this site and am playing around with the idea of a quarterly newsletter starting next year. It’s all still in the works, but so far it’s not turning out half bad.

I’m also (trying) to get back on board with my original goal of 1,000 words written/day, regardless of what else I’m doing, revision or marketing wise. Somewhere along the line I’ve gotten lost in the Revision/Release hurricane, and now feel I need to get back to basics.

How about you guys? Any holiday traditions you’re looking foward to? Any goals you need to revisit? We’re in the home stretch of 2013 now, folks! 🙂

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Author’s Log: Post-Tryptophan OD Edition (&ROW80)

1. John Holton says:

Mary and I avoid all the shopping hoopla. Life has become very simple for us: we don’t exchange gifts with any of my brothers, shop for ourselves, and do all of that online. I see the madness that is Black Friday, and while I get that most retail houses need the business to stay afloat and keep their regular employees employed, I think they could do it without opening on Thursday altogether, Encouraging people to stampede through the store to buy something that they really don’t need is just wrong.

1. catemorgan says:

I totally agree, John. In the course of a single day we go through being grateful for all that we have to competing in a gladitorial arena for more stuff. Seriously?

It sounds like you and Mary had a peaceful, happy holiday. Thanks for stopping by!

2. nancyrae4 says:

Not really a holiday tradition, but when the semester ends we school IT people get the real work done. We have the Mac labs to ourselves! None of those pesky students around:) I always look forward to updating software and loading the cool new stuff. Oh dear, I have become a geek and a half!

As far as goals, 1,000 words a day sounds good, but I’ll be happy to reach 20,000 words by Jan 1 – one quarter of the way through my novel.

3. Kathy says:

Right now, I’m mainly looking forward to Tuesday, since that’s my and the girlfriend’s weekend. We’ve got some of our Christmas shopping done and the rest, fortunately, can be taken care of with a single shopping trip. Otherwise, I’m going to be working on a couple projects and enjoying a couple days of not having to set the @#$@ alarm.

4. Tia Bach says:

Wow, you are super busy. Wishing you all the best with the new edits and your December release. And I know what you mean about Black Friday. It was crazy. Usually I’m almost done with Christmas shopping by now, but I have barely started. With three kids (13, 11 & 8), I have to get my butt in gear. Hope you have a great week!

1. catemorgan says:

On one hand, I love edits because I get to hone my craft. On the other hand…yanno, EDITS. But it’s all really starting to come together, which makes me happa happa.

Good luck with that shopping, Tia!

5. Tonette dela Luna says:

Such fantastic updates… and I’m not just talkin’ Jar-Jar on a plate, either. 😉

I’m also in revision mode this round and am under strict self-imposed orders NOT TO START ANYTHING NEW until I’ve gotten my current projects beyond the revision stage.

Cheers on a great round and to the next one!

Tonette