Author’s Log: Where The Pedal Meets The Metal (& #ROW80)

coyote-under-anvilSo I missed blogging last week. Sorry, guys–I really and honestly forgot. I’ve been so deep into other things it completely slipped my mind. I suck.

*shame*

But. BUT. We have progress. HUZZAH!

Let’s take it by the numbers, shall we?

1. Party planning. 2014 is fast approaching, and I actually mapped out my Production Schedule ahead of time. Crazy how that works, innit? This is especially important as I want to try a few new ideas, platform-wise. I’ve been reading Create Your Writer Platform by the very helpful Chuck Sambuchino, and Goodreads For Authors by Michelle Campbell-Scott is next on my list. This means that with everything I want to accomplish next year, it’s imperative I manage my time more effectively than ever. To this end I’ve started a fresh new writer’s notebook/journal to keep track of, well, ALL THE THINGS.
  2. Revision Firestorm. No, I didn’t set my manuscript trunk ablaze in righteous writerly fury. No, really. Those fire trucks you hear have nothing to do with me. Ahem. ANYWAY, Round 2 of Editorial Revisions for Brighid’s Mark are back with Editor Awesome, and just under the deadline wire, and now we are officially out of Editoral Rounds and into Final Line Edits with Editor Eagle-Eye. I’m now revising  my way through Keepers: Origins #1 and Keepers #3 with those same notes in mind. I want both polished and ready to go by the end of the month/year.
  3. Drafting Fandango. With Keepers: Origins on the Revision burner, I’m turning my daily word count/drafting goal back toward The Minstrel’s Daughter. Aka the Novel That Just Won’t End.  I need this story. It’s my One Ring. I love it, but it’s slowly driving me mad and killing me by inches the more time I spend away from it. IT MUST BE MINE!!

*pant pant*

To this end I have to double down on my 1,000 words/day drafting goal to over 2,000. Basically, if I average about 2,100 words a day, every day, for the rest of December, then I’ll have a rough draft of Big Dang Projeckt. FINALLY. Fortunately I have some time off from Day Jobbery coming for the holidays, so naturally I’m going to push this word count goal even further so I might actually be able to Christmas Day off. Cuz, yanno, NEW GAMES YAY. And the Tech Monkey’s traditional Christmas Feast would make all of Whoville hang their heads in shame.

So I have quite a lot to accomplish by the end of the year, but I’m in the home stretch.

BTW, if anyone knows why I can’t updated/add image widgets on my WordPress sidebar, I’d LOVE to know. Seriously. *grumble*

How about you guys? Are you slowing down in anticipation the holidays, or are you accelerating toward the finish line?

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Author’s Log: Where The Pedal Meets The Metal (& #ROW80)

1. nancyrae4 says:

You are my hero!! I’m struggling with the holidays, health issues, work, and a number of other lame excuses. For me, a 1000 words per day is a dream. But, I am chipping away at first draft:)
    As far as image widgets, I had similar problems, went to their fantastic help people and, voila!, fixed for good. They are a wonderful bunch.

1. catemorgan says:

I confess to being something of a cheat, Nancy. In my day job there are long stretches of downloading and filtering reports where I can surreptitiously open a word doc window and peck away in between phone calls. I can then save my efforts into Evernote to pull when I get home, then copy and paste into Scrivener. Convoluted, perhaps, but necessary if I’m going to work around my own health issues and schedule.

I think I’ve found a workaround for the widgetry shenanigans I’ve been experiencing, but if I continue to have issues I’ll take your advice and hit up the support team. Thanks!

2. Beth Camp says:

Lots of energy here!!!! 2,000+ words a day? You can do it. Or come close. Love your names for your readers/editors (Editor Awesome and Editor Eagle-Eye). Who wouldn’t need folks like these. Thanks for the book link on building a writer platform. Will check this out. I even like the grouching about WordPress since I’m still on the fence about whether to set up a WP page. Persevere. 2014 brings even more opportunity. May your writing go well.

1. catemorgan says:

Editor Awesome is, verily, Awesome. And I need to crank out those words before Eagle-Eye drops another set of revisions on me!

The WP widget seems to be for the particular theme I’m using, and image-based. I’m using a workaround now, but only time will tell if I’ll have to eventually change themes. Thanks for dropping in, Beth–and good luck in your own goals!

3. John Holton says:

The image problem might be the theme you’re using. All of them vanished on me when I changed mine.

I think there’s something inherent in the end of the year that makes people say, ah, I’ll just wait until after the first of the year. That’s the way it is for me, anyway.

1. catemorgan says:

Hi, John!

Yeah, I’m a big one for “at the beginning of the week/month/year”, but there are so many ideas I want to develop over the next couple of years that I HAVE to finish what I’m doing before I can immerse myself in the Bright, New Shiny. And goshdarnit, if I want to do this full time (and I do) I have to build a decent portfolio of work before I can retire from the Day Jobbe.

Thanks for stopping in! 🙂

4. Skye Callahan says:

My husband did use this theme on his blog for a while and had trouble with widgets, but I’m not sure what the problem would be.
    Good luck with your upcoming word count goals! I too and hoping to do at least 2k per day through the end of the year!

1. catemorgan says:

The widget issue seems to be image-related, so I switched to a text-based word count meter instead. I really like this theme, so I’d hate to change at this juncture. I’m just afraid to touch anything else lest it break!

I’m so close to the end of Big Dang Projeckt I can taste it–and that’s what’s driving me at this point. Hopefully I can keep up the momentum. Thanks for stopping in!

5. Anne Lange says:

I’ve been having trouble with a few of my widgets too. I think it’s the end of the year. Over the holidays I plan to switch to a host and a new theme. We’ll see how that goes.

Looks like you’ve been very busy. Congrats on the progress you’ve made and good luck with your goals over the next couple of weeks!

1. catemorgan says:

Hi, Anne. I finally went to a text-based word count meter, which seems to be working okay. I really like the theme I have, so it seemed like a viable workaround. So far, so good.

Thanks for stopping in, and good luck on your own goals!