I’m a little weird (okay–A LOT weird) in that my day job consists of more than a little Forensic Accountantcy, and thus beating back the twin evils of Fuzzy Logic and Mathemagics Gone Awry (or, in worst case scenarios, Black). What this means is that my perspective on the business of writing is more than a little skewed, because my day job entails dealing with people who have built their own businesses, and I am the Keeper of the Payroll for certain product types wherein things aren’t always clear.
This also means that I tend to think of my writing business in the scope of production periods, which is how I organize juggling multiple projects. Having set goals (and thus reader expectations) means money in the long run. One of my main, overeaching goals is to release something new at least every ninety days.
So, in my mind, we are not only coming up on the end of September, but the end of the third quarter of the year. Let’s recap to see what I’ve accomplished in the last three months:
1. Act II of SEARCHER (fantasy novel)–Drafting Completed.
2. HEARTH & HOME (Waking Muse 2)–Completed and Released.
3. FALLEN ANGEL (Waking Muse 3)–Pre-Production completed, Drafting in Progress.
4. Act II of THE MINSTREL’S DAUGHTER (fantasy novel)–Revisions Completed.
5. BRIGHID’S FLAME (Keepers of the Flame #3)–Contracted by Samhain Publishing, Currently in Round 2 of Edits.
6. TARA (Keepers: Origins 3)–Pre-Production Completed.
7. NEWSLETTER LAUNCH–Completed.
So not bad, all things considering. Here’s what I have left to cleanup, as I’m about week behind in my goals at this point:
1. FALLEN ANGEL (Waking Muse #3)–Complete a rough draft. Drafting has been slow going, but not because I don’t know what to write. It’s been a time/energy thing (oh, hey Life–I remember you! Now get out of my way). I expect to do some catching up over the weekend and next week, so I’m not too bad off.
2. BRIGHID’S FLAME (Waking Muse #3)–Round 2 Edits. I just received the second round of edits from Editor Awesome a couple of days ago, so that’s what I’m banging out this weekend, as they’re due on Wednesday, 10/1.
3. Keepers of the Flame #4: Complete Round 1 Revisions. Also slow going, again due to Life. (The downside to being a hybrid author–when you have a legal contract with an honest-to-goodness Publisher, and they send you edits, etc, you drop EVERYTHING, including eating and possibly breathing and maybe even booze if you want to get crazy, and you GET THE JOB DONE.) Again, I plan some serious catchup in the coming week.
It’s not the end of the world if I’m a week or so behind, since I’ll be taking the last week of October off at the day job in honor of my 12th wedding anniversary and Halloween.
So far, the every-ninety-day-release plan seems to be working well. This means I have a production cycle of about six months, which ensures I have time to tackle multiple projects and get done All The Things without feeling like I’m up against a wall with guns a-blazing.
Next week, I’ll go into looking ahead to the next month and quarter, and what I anticipate the final stretch of 2014 will be like. 🙂